Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ethiopian Yergacheffe

So I was at the DLF Emporio this morning for a coffee date with myself. Well, not quite, as I was waiting for someone, but considering the predictable Delhi traffic scenario that disallows people from arriving on time, I decided to indulge in a cuppa. I made myself comfortable at Cafe E and carefully pored over the coffee menu (limited but interesting). That's when it caught my eye, that exotic sounding name - the Ethiopian Yergacheffe (pronunciation highly debatable as per the many discussions I read on the internet, but I choose to pronounce it as yERR-ga-cheffay) - and once I read the details of the brew on offer, I did not waste another millisecond in summoning the maitre d' and enlightening him with my lavish order.

The coffee must be exclusive, for it took longer than 15 minutes to arrive, and when it did in all its glory, there was no grand ceremony marking the occasion. It, along with a glass jar containing a measly four bite sized cookies, was merely (and rather quietly) slipped onto a leather coaster before me. But oh, Exotico, you must be special, ye, 'cause as the aroma traveled up my nose, it more than just awakened me. It UPLIFTED my soul to a jannat reserved for such and such who must really have done something wonderful (I am left wondering what it was that I did, but then again, that list is just so long ;p). And then, the awaited first sip - siiiiiigh! If there was ever a heaven on earth...

They mentioned a freshly brewed affair. I could taste the freshness.  They promised an aroma of vanilla, they delivered beyond perfection. And Coffee ji, oh he, he was bitter as Bitter should be. But they also wrote of a hint of citrusy notes. Where were those, I ask. Did it matter much? It did, of course, but not enough. You see, while sipping on that yerga, one gets transported to the dark continent that produces this glamorous stuff and relishes what there is rather than mull over what is amiss. Oh, and those cookies, I know why they serve just 4. There is hardly a need!

Note to Cafe E: The chocolate cookies were nice and chewy but my suggestion is you drop those almond flavored ones. They are completely unpalatable! 

Well, I drained my cup of every little drop, and as my solitary coffee date came to a pleasant end, I knew it was time to get back to work. The cup of heaven came at a price, but then again so does everything else. To those of you who love their coffee and are based out of Delhi or NCR, I cannot stress enough on how you must ABSOLUTELY discover and savor the yerga. For those of you who are not, oh well oh well, dream on...

Found this on Google and just KNEW I had to share this. After all, I believe, coffee will unite the world, if not today, someday :)

Now as I finish writing this, let me go dig into a fresh cheesy omletto! Mmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment